Friday, June 20, 2008

Gone Fishin'

The hubby has gone up to Minnesota for a fishing trip and the girls and I are left behind in a flood ravaged, road-closed, activities cancelled town. Gotta love it! I'm off work for a week since the building I work in was evacuated and the University closed down to deal with the flood waters. Normally this would be a great thing (not the flood, I don't wish that on anyone, but the free week off), but the roads are closed coming in and going out of town, and getting around town is a nightmare. It's hard to go anywhere but our own neighborhood and I'm grateful that we have a grocery store, a park, and an ice cream store very close by. We did a lot of bike rides the first few days at home.

Winky is now on a two-wheeler with training wheels and we're still trying to get Gussie to give up her training wheels. She refuses to ride her bike without them, so we're obviously not making much progress. It's kind of cute to watch her rock side to side as they bend further and further under her weight, so maybe they'll just break off eventually. It'll take some tough love, I guess.

We made it to an outdoor pool today, despite all the excess water, we felt the need to go frolic in some more. The girls had a good time and burned some of their crazy energy. I'm burnt like a lobster and have my first burn of the summer to remind me, yet again, pale white girls do not tan.

The water is still high in some areas and many people are homeless and waiting to access their homes or businesses as the water goes down. I can't imagine what they're going through right now, but they're in my thoughts and prayers. It makes you look at life differently when you see how easily your home and belongings can all be taken away due to mother nature. Whether it's a fire, tornado, or floods, it can all be gone without warning. I'm trying to learn a lesson and minimize the "stuff" that we hang onto.

No comments: